You're getting back into working out, and looking for the best tips for muscle soreness recovery.
You may have heard exercise boosts your work productivity by 12%. So after taking some time off, you got off the couch and back in the gym, or back on the trail.
First of all, congrats! We want to celebrate and remember the immediate rewards and accomplishment from exercising. Restarting, or starting, is often the hardest part of creating healthy habits. Even one session is better than none! Next, we want to make it as easy as possible to make it routine.
Here are 5 tips to keep that momentum going so you feel great and work better!
Took too much time off from exercise? Here are some tips to help!
5 tips for muscle soreness recovery:
1) A gradual restart is the key to not being deadly sore. So if you can, avoid working out as hard as you were before the break.
Mind your volume. If you want to get back into the gym 3 times per week, you might start by lifting 1 day, then walking or cycling for the other two. Alternately, if you used to go 3 sets of 10 reps, consider doing 2 sets.
Intensity matters too. If you used to have a killer interval pace, or lift 4 million pounds, you're going to feel sore jumping back into that intensity after a break. Work for a light sweat to get back into the routine.
2) "Motion is lotion-" Try active recovery, like swim, yoga, biking, or walking. When you're feeling tight, moving keeps your circulation going, joints lubricated, and pain perception low (once you get warmed up!)
3) Lots of produce- In addition to getting you better results, fruits and veggies help you recover. Berries and cherries are especially high in antioxidants that boost muscle soreness recovery. For best results, aim for 5+ servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
4) Plenty of water- make sure your body has enough fluid to eliminate waste products and rebuild and lubricate tissues.
5) Ask your health care provider if you should use an over-the-counter NSAID like naproxen (Aleve) or ibuprofen (Advil) to ease your soreness as you get back into working out.
It's easy to overdo it when getting back into the gym. These 5 tips make your return to exercise rewarding so you can improve your productivity and health. Let yourself enjoy the reasons you work, and workout!
For more support while you establish your health habits, check out the Health Habits Challenge:
You deserve to know what happens when you apply yourself!
You don't want to go through life without knowing what you could achieve. You're ready to stop letting your fears, phone, food, and TV control your life.
Here are 3 ways the Health Habits Challenge helps you develop the power and confidence to reach your goals:
- 1Set and commit to clear objectives: Knowing is half the battle! A SMART plan shows you the exact moments you can say Yes to You
- 2Win each day: Reward yourself and celebrate each successful day with check marks in your customized calendar. See your purpose and affirmations daily to stay focused on your goals
- 3Huge support! Timely Facebook live casts. Share stories and connect with others on their self-improvement journey in our private Facebook group. I took a stricter version of this challenge this Summer, so I'll guide, answer questions, and encourage you in chats and emails!